Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 16, 2011

Spiritual Crocodiles

   A talk given by President Packer in 2002. It taught me a great lesson. President Packer took a trip to Africa with his wife. Instead of animals being in cages and them getting to walk around and see them, they drove around in a big truck that had a cage and the animals roamed free. It was a very dry season in Africa and the water whole nearby was very popular with all sorts of animals.
   President Packer explained the experience."The antelope, particularly, were very nervous. They would approach the mud hole, only to turn and run away in great fright. I could see there were no lions about and asked the guide why they didn’t drink. His answer, and this is the lesson, was 'Crocodiles.'
    I knew he must be joking and asked him seriously, “What is the problem?” The answer again: “Crocodiles.”
“Nonsense,” I said. “There are no crocodiles out there. Anyone can see that.”
    I couldn’t see anything except the mud, a little water, and the nervous animals in the distance. Then all at once I saw it!—a large crocodile, settled in the mud, waiting for some unsuspecting animal to get thirsty enough to come for a drink."
   President Packer had a very neat experience. He related this unseen crocodiles to "spiritual crocodiles." Not just the big, gray lizards that can bite you to pieces, but spiritual crocodiles, infinitely more dangerous, and more deceptive and less visible, even, than those well-camouflaged reptiles of Africa. They can destroy your peace of mind and the peace of mind of those that love you. 
   He finishes his address by saying this. "Fortunately, there is spiritual first aid for those who have been bitten. The bishop of the ward is the guide in charge of this first aid. He can also treat those who have been badly morally mauled by these spiritual crocodiles—and see them completely healed.
   That experience in Africa was another reminder for me to follow the Guide. I follow Him because I want to. I bear witness that He lives, that Jesus is the Christ. I know that He has a body of flesh and bones, that He directs this Church, and His purpose is to see all of us guided safely back into His presence."
   I also bear my witness of these crocodiles. They truly can ruin lives. An area that may appear safe when not looked upon by spiritual eyes can destroy you. Study the situation. Don't let something that is only a little bit bad grab hold of you. If it already has, seek divine help. It is never to late!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment